Visit DecoratingMagic on Face Book and Pinterest and Twitter. Step by step instructions on how to faux paint furniture. Basis for Distressed, Shabby Chic, Cottage, or rustic techniques.
How to Paint Furniture like a Pro.
• Screwdriver and other necessary tools to remove hardware
• Paint can opener
• Stir sticks
• Coarse grit sandpaper and medium grit (60 grit and 100 grit)
• Dust Mask
• Damp and dry rags
• Drop cloth
• Water based primer
• Latex paint (eggshell or satin finish)
• Glazing medium (from the craft or home improvement store…a quart or smaller size)
• Colorant for the glaze (grayish brown craft paint…small bottle)
• 2″ foam brush for the polyurethane
• Angled brushes for the primer and paint (I like one called Shortcut from the home improvement store)
• Inexpensive 2″ brush to apply the glaze
• Water based polyurethane (matte finish)
• Matte finish spray (optional)
I find my pieces on Craigslist, yard sales, the classifieds, on the curb and a lot of times friends just give me pieces because they know I like them. Good luck. Send me pictures of your pieces! For complete written instructions, please email me at email@example.com.